This post explores some of the best and cheapest laptops to run AutoCAD. We’ve given performance a priority, with the reviewed laptops coming from leading manufacturers such as HP, Dell, Asus, and Acer.
If you’re looking for a laptop to run AutoCAD, you’re in the right place. Here’s the thing; buying a computer for students or business professionals is straightforward. It usually comes down to your budget. However, laptops to run AutoCAD must have specific requirements.
As an architect, you probably run other resource-intensive applications such as Adobe 3D Modeling, Photoshop, Solidworks, among others. To run these applications, you need a high-performance laptop to handle the workload.
Autodesk AutoCAD 2019 Minimum System Requirements
AutoCAD is one of the oldest and most popular products developed by Autodesk. It has helped millions of engineers and architects to build a virtually infinite array of projects around the world. However, like most of the software developed by Autodesk, it has a new version every year. The hardware requirements for more modern versions often change. In this post, we will list the cheapest laptops to run AutoCAD 2019 and offer high performance.
AutoCAD Minimum System Requirements
AutoCAD minimum system requirements are quite low. Most modern computers(excluding Chromebooks) can run AutoCAD with relatively decent results.
Below are the minimum system requirements for AutoCAD laptops. According to AutoDesk, the laptop must have at least:
- 8 GB RAM (16GB Recommended)
- 6 GB free disk space
- A display of 1920 * 1080 with True Color
- Windows 7 & Up
- Basic 2.5 – 2.9 processor (3+ GHz processor recommended)
Hardware to Consider Before Laptop Purchase
The hardware under the hood is what makes a laptop appropriate for specific niche jobs. Before you buy any computer, check out the hardware configurations that work with your application.
Given AutoCAD’s system requirements, here is a list of hardware features you must consider before buying an AutoCAD laptop.
- Processor – You must have a fast processor to handle CAD and 3D Max applications. Quad-core processors usually have multiple cores that help render files faster and smoothly. The majority of our recommended laptops come with the Intel quad-core i5, which is more affordable compared to the i7. However, if budget isn’t an issue, we’d recommend an 8th Gen i7 processor.
- RAM – Your laptop’s performance comes down to memory. The more memory installed, the better and faster your computer runs. Running multiple applications becomes easier too. For AutoCAD, 8GB of RAM is enough for basic CAD. However, we’d suggest 16GB of RAM, which Autodesk also recommends 16GB RAM for the best results.
- Graphics Card – Ordinarily, you don’t need an extra graphics card to run AutoCAD. Having a dedicated graphics card does help in rendering files faster.
- Storage – Solid state drives provide the best performance for AutoCAD. They have better reading and writing speeds compared to hard drive disks. However, their price is usually slightly higher, so keep that in mind when making your decision.
- Display – AutoDesk recommends a 1920 * 1080 (HD), TrueColor display to run AutoCAD. We recommend that you aim for full HD displays, preferably with IPS technology that renders accurate colors.
While you will be able to run AutoCAD with most screen sizes and resolution, a large display is advisable, mainly if you use AutoCAD often.
Considering these hardware requirements, let’s check our list of the cheapest laptops to run AutoCAD 2019:
Top Rated Cheapest Laptops to Run AutoCAD
The ASUS VivoBook is one of the most budget-friendly high-performance laptops on the market today. It’s designed with the professional in mind, with top-of-the-range hardware features to cater to every computing need.
At the core is a powerful AMD Quad-Core processor that goes up to 3.6GHz. It also carries 16GB DDR4 RAM for seamless multitasking and rendering of AutoCAD files. The Asus VivoBook comes with both an SSD (256GB) and an HDD (1TB), giving you the best of both worlds in speed and storage capacity.
It sports a 15.6″ anti-glare HD display with an AMD Radeon R7 integrated graphics card providing high image quality for photos and AutoCAD files.
Hot on the heels of the VivoBook is this Acer Aspire E 15. It’s one of the most affordable high-performance laptops. It carries a powerful configuration of hardware components, making it the perfect fit for AutoCAD 2019.
Looking under the hood, the Acer Aspire is powered by an 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8250U processor, with 8GB of RAM. It also comes with a dedicated GeForce MX150 graphics processor for that extra juice in rendering AutoCAD files. Also, it carries an impressive 256GB SSD of storage space.
The Acer Aspire sports a 15.6″ Full HD widescreen IPS Display that delivers accurate colors from all angles. With up to 15 hours of battery life, this is one of the cheapest laptops at this price range.
HP makes some of the best laptops on the market. This HP 17 laptop is no different. For one, it sports an impressive 17.3″ HD+ WLED-backlit display with wide-viewing angles, giving you a better visual experience as you render complex AutoCAD files.
It’s powered by a 7th Gen Intel i5-7200U with up to 3.1GHz with Intel Boost. Memory stands at 8GB and a 1TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD. The laptop also comes with an integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620 card, which helps your laptop run more smoothly.
Apart from that, the HP 17 runs Windows 10 operating system, which makes it a robust laptop to run AutoCAD and related applications.
While the older 8th generation i3-8145U processor powers the Dell Inspiron 15 3000 laptops, it makes up for that in affordability. Besides, the processor goes up to 3.90GHz with Turbo Boost or 2.10GHz without. If that’s not enough, this laptop comes with an Intel UHD 620 Graphics card to give you that extra computing power in manipulating AutoCAD files.
The Dell 15 3000 sports 8GB DDR4 RAM and 256GB Solid State Drive for faster, and more efficient storage.
With a Full HD 15.6″ IPS display, the Dell Inspiron 15 3000 is perfect for AutoCAD work. You get better quality images with bright, sharp, and accurate colors. This Laptop comes with Windows 10.
No list of affordable, high-performance laptops is complete without the HP 17.3″ Notebook Laptop. It’s on a class of its own. Right from the impressive HD+ WLED-Backlit Display, that brings colors to crisp focus, to the full-size island-style backlit keyboard with a numeric keypad.
Under the hood is a powerful 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U Quad-Core processor. It gives that smooth, responsive experience. It’s coupled with an Intel HD Graphics 620 graphics card for better image and video display.
It also sports 8GB DDR4 RAM for advanced multitasking. As a result, you can run multiple applications like AutoCAD and others without any hitches.
Add to that the Windows 10 operating system, and you have the perfect hardware configuration to run AutoCAD on your laptop.